Hi this is Dr. Christopher Choi from Concierge Wellness & Aesthetics. Today we will talk about the annual physical exam.
An annual physical exam is a yearly check-up that is performed by a healthcare provider. The exam aims to assess an individual’s overall health status, identify any potential health problems that may need to be addressed. Your doctor should coordinate screening for certain cancers based on age, family history and gender. During the exam, the healthcare provider will typically review the individual’s medical history, check vital signs (such as blood pressure and pulse), perform a physical examination, and may order some laboratory tests or diagnostic procedures. The exact nature of the exam may vary depending on the age, sex, and overall health of the individual, as well as any specific concerns or risk factors that they may have.
What to Expect
During your annual physical exam, your doctor will review your health history, ask about any symptoms you may have, and check your vital signs, such as your blood pressure, pulse, and temperature. They may also draw blood to check your cholesterol, blood sugar, and other lab tests. Depending on your age, gender, and health history, your doctor may order additional studies, make referrals to specialists and coordinate for certain cancer screenings.
Benefits of an Annual Exam
There are several potential benefits to having an annual physical exam:
- Prevention of future health problems: The exam can help identify risk factors for certain health conditions and provide recommendations for preventing those conditions from developing.
- Early detection of health problems: An annual physical exam can help identify potential health problems in their early stages, when they are more likely to be treatable.
- Establishing a relationship with a healthcare provider: An annual exam can help you build a relationship with a healthcare provider, which can be beneficial in the event that you have any health concerns or questions throughout the year.
- Staying up-to-date on vaccinations: An annual exam is a good opportunity to make sure that you are up-to-date on recommended vaccinations.
- Peace of mind: An annual exam can provide reassurance that you are in good health, or identify any issues that need to be addressed in order to maintain good health.
An annual physical exam is an important part of preventive health care. It can help detect any potential health problems early, provide insight into your overall health, and help your doctor track changes in your health over time.